-
June 23rd, 2006, 02:32 AM
#51
Inactive Member

If you EVER, EVER Find this Cd, Buy It, Burn It, or record it. It is about the best 2 hours of beautifuly sung R&B & Soul music you have ever heard, interspaced with some of the nastiest stories. I have been looking for this for years and I found it on a Brazilian blog.
I remember hearing in the 80's a snippit from the LP called the "Phuck You Symphony", about people who buy classical Lps to impress their friends while they got the blues hid under the shelf.
<font color="#000000" size="1">[ June 22, 2006 11:34 PM: Message edited by: ellanoize ]</font>
-
July 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM
#52
Inactive Member

I am listening to KT Tunstall Cd, Eye to The Telescope.
KT is a guitar playing singer songwriter, with a very pretty voice, You have probably heard her radio Hit, Black Horse & the Cherry Tree, or saw it on VH1 a few months ago.
I can't think of anyone to compare her style to, She is a bit like a more upbeat Jewel, a darker view than Sheryl Crow.
-
July 17th, 2006, 02:24 AM
#53
Inactive Member
I have been in a blues mood this weekend, and have been playing 3 great blues Cd's
1) Eric Clapton & BB King - Riding with the King
2) Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather
3) Savoy Brown - Street Corner Talkin'
-
August 13th, 2006, 03:24 AM
#54
Inactive Member
I have been listening to lots of jazz lately. I started listening to it about 2 years ago, after a 43-year absence!!!
Some of the cd's I've purchased lately are:
1) Jan Garbarek- Selected Recordings
2) Jan Garbarek/The Hilliard Ensemble- Officium
This Norwegian saxophonist has his own icy, unique tone. I certainly have never heard anyone who sounds like him. I have read where no living saxophonist has a more instantly recognizable sound. I believe it
3) Grant Green- Idle Moments
4) Grant Green- Green Street
Idle Moments is amazing. I never thought I would enjoy instruments like vibes and guitar in jazz 'til I heard this recording. Likely my fav. jazz cd. He is an extremely popular guitarist, and the greatest one, IMO
5) Bobby Hutcherson- Wow
The greatest vibrophonist, IMO
6) Andrew Hill- Judgment
I haven't listened to it as yet (I bought it yesterday), but I have enjoyed other work by this pianist. Also, it features Bobby Hutcherson, so it was a safe purchase for me
7) Anthony Braxton- Saturn, Conjunct the Grand Canyon in a Sweet Embrace
I also bought it yesterday. He has released a TON of stuff. I read the following passage in the AMG to Jazz "He has created music of enormous sophistication and passion unlike anything else that had come before it". I thought it was time to listen to him
If you have been trying to develop an interest in jazz (without success), maybe you have been listening to the wrong musicians. This is what happened to me. I love it now (never thought I would ever say those words).
-
August 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM
#55
Inactive Member

I have been listening to the new Cd by the son of Legandery Country artist Waylon Jennings. Shooter has released a rocking country Lp called Electric Rodeo.
Stephen, I like Jazz, but I'm mostly familiar with the older cats, After I get settled, I may try to track some of your recomendations
[img]cool.gif[/img]
-
August 18th, 2006, 11:17 AM
#56
Inactive Member
Oh I remember how much I loved that Waylon and Willie album from way back when!!!
-
August 19th, 2006, 04:44 PM
#57
Inactive Member
That was a great Lp, I am a big Waylon fan, and now I'm a big Shooter Fan. I also like Hank Jr and his Boy has a couple Cd's out too. Hank Williams III sounds a lot like his Grandaddy when he plays country, but he likes to mix it up and play a bit o punk too.
Willie is still "on The Road Again" after all these years. Amazing artist fer shure [img]cool.gif[/img]
-
August 23rd, 2006, 03:01 AM
#58
Inactive Member
Yep, thats the kinda country music I can listen too as opposed to Buck Owens and the Buckaroos [img]eek.gif[/img]
-
August 30th, 2006, 03:47 AM
#59
Inactive Member
Is Millie Jackson one of Michael's siblings?? I am delighted to admit my knowledge of the Jackson clan is minimal.
-
August 31st, 2006, 07:02 PM
#60
Inactive Member
Hello Stephen, glad to see ya again, Hopes all well in yer neck of the woods [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
No Millie is not one of <u>those</u> Jacksons, I don't know much about her background, I heard a few of her songs on a Soul compilation cassette from many years ago and fell in love with her voice. She is from the era where you had to entertain an audience, so she does a lot of story telling in between songs, the stories tie the songs togeather, and her humor is slightly raunchy....Ok its dirty, but in a funny way.
Greetings Sis [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] I Loved Buck Owens and that whole Hee Haw bunch (I'm such a dork), My brother is a roper and didn't know I liked country, until we were trying to unload my Cds and he was surprized at my collection of classic country, like Earnest Tubb, George Jones, Ferlin Husky, Conway Twitty, Tammy Wynette etc.
Last 2 days I have been in a Reggae & Ska mood, Listening to Marley, The Wailers, The Skatalites, Specials, and Madness, This Morning I woke up in a pissy metal mood and was cranking Metallica Live In Europe, And The Anti-Nowhere Leauge
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks